Simplicity and Convenience
Lift your career opportunities quickly. Join our focused program in financial accounting, auditing, managerial accounting, taxation, and accounting information systems.
We give you the ease and flexibility of rolling enrollment at our College of Business campus in downtown San Francisco. You’ll be close to the heart of San Francisco and have access to excellent public transportation. Meet California’s new 150-hour academic requirement for CPA licensing and earn your M.S. in Accounting degree on your terms. Enter in Fall or Spring and go full-time or part-time so you can earn while you learn. Your advisers, faculty, fellow students and MSA alumni are supportive of your success—tap into your new community for a lifetime of career and academic fulfillment.
We offer multiple paths for your MSA journey. See which path fits your needs:
- Accelerated Path: You already have a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and want to enhance the marketability of your degree for career advancement. Earn your MSA in just a few months or longer depending on your preferences. View the Course Flowchart for the Accelerated Path.
- Transition Path: We welcome MSA students without Bachelor’s degrees in accounting. Many MSA students have Bachelor’s degrees in Business, Social Science, History, Education, Health Sciences, Engineering, Math, or other. You can still complete your MSA in less than two years. View the Course Flowchart for the Transition Path.
- International Student Path: SF State University is committed to building student success in the global economy. International students follow the same course flowchart as the Transition Path in addition to meeting our international requirements. For more information, please visit International Student Admissions.
SF State has one of the strongest CPA Exam passing rates in the California State University system with first-time test takers (57.6% in 2011).
New MSA students join a positive community that is supportive of their success during and after the program. As one of the top-ranked business schools offering the M.S. in Accountancy, we have forged trusting relationships with major firms, Silicon Valley companies, and the California State government. Our MSA students enter into internships, consulting, and new full-time jobs with global leaders that include:
- International Accounting Firms: Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu and KPMG
- Chevron, BPM, Moss Adams, Grant Thornton, Burr Pilger Mayer (BPM), Armanino LLP Oracle, and more of the Silicon Valley 150.
Leena Chen, M.S. in Accountancy, 2013
We have professors like Prof. Hammond, who makes it a personal goal to remember the names of all her students. Even if there are 200 of them. Some of us have emailed our professors for advice on a weekend, at midnight and have received replies minutes later. I am one of those annoying late night e-mailers. Prof. Chang knows what I’m talking about. Thank you, professor! And the staff has always been most supportive of our development here. They always make time to chat with us. Without these incredible people, we would not have been able to grow our confidence and learn how to build great relationships that open great career paths.
SF State’s College of Business is a Top Performer for New Graduates
College of Business Leadership | MS in Accountancy
Professor Joanne Duke
Professor Jiunn (Gene) Huang
Chair & Professor, Accounting
College of Business, SFSU
Phone: (415) 338-2473
Location: SCI 302
Depending on your academic background and your preferences, the total course load varies from a minimum of 10 courses (30 units) to a maximum of 16 courses (48 units).
Course requirements are segmented into the following three areas:
MSA Student Resources
Students must apply online through CSU Mentor and send to the university an application fee, one copy of their transcripts, a written a statement of purpose, take the GMAT or GRE exam, take TOEFL or IELTS if from a foreign university, submit a résumé and two letters of reference.
- Next Steps: For deadlines, requirements and forms, go to MSA admissions.
- Fees & Tuition
- Graduate Admissions Forms
- Application Deadlines
Graduate Admissions (Other)
Get any other information for domestic and international admissions. Also find GMAT, GRE and TOEFL test resources and see upcoming events. Go to Criteria to see what test scores qualify for admission.
- See course times and availability by searching the current Class Schedule
- Read course descriptions in the current SF State Bulletin.
- Graduate Scholarships and Fellowships
- Financial Aid
- Network with peers in the Graduate Students in Accounting Association (GSAA).
Hours: Monday through Thursday, 10:00am - 7:00pm
Friday, 10:00am - 5:00pm
Phone: (415) 817-4300
Fax: (415) 817-4340
Address: 835 Market Street, Suite 550, San Francisco, CA 94103